Monday, September 5, 2011

11 Months


You two sure do like to move these days.  Under highchairs and over end tables, you climb and crawl through anything whether you fit or not.  Your favorite game involves the little red ball that I brought home for you a few weeks ago.  Fights over that ball occur daily which inevitably lead to a rowdy army crawl crash derby all over the house.  Once the ball has been forgotten (darn goldfish memory) you immediately crawl to the sliding glass door and pound on it.  This pounding has frightend the poor goldfinches off the feeder in the backyard more times that I can count.  (Who said stray cats were the most dangerous thing for wild birds?)


Both of you are experimenting with sippy cups.  That is a nice way of saying that you are still in the throwing and banging stage.  I am proud to say that you managed to nearly drink a whole bottle today before losing focus.  Drinking water (which is often carbonated) straight from my cup makes you kick with pride and burp in miniature.  Cheerios are now consumed by the fistful.  I have been handing over the spoon to let you practice and the results are exactly what I expected...amusing.

 

You both still take shifts and cry out in the middle of the night.  I have no doubt that most of your discomfort is the result of your top teeth pushing through.  You both think that you are brilliant whenever you pull yourselves to the standing position in your cribs (which is all the time). Lately, I have started pushing your cribs together so that you can stand and look at each other.  This usually ends with several rounds of eye gouging and hair pulling.


I am now officially rubbing your tooth nubs with a washcloth during your evening tubby time.  You each still get to splash solo because it is the only way to keep all of us out of the emergency room.  Your frenzied rolls and kicks remind me of a freshly netted salmon.  Oh how I love my crazy little fish! 

William...

The cats no longer casually lounge when you are on the ground. You are determined to "pet" them whenever they are within eyesight or reach and the end result is always a fistful of fur.  We now encourage the cats to run when you are on a seek and destroy mission.  The funny thing is, they really don't seem to mind your attention one bit (thank goodness).


You still love cruising the house in the walker. When I called your name last night during brother's tubby time you hit the brakes mid-hallway, backed up and rolled into the bathroom with a great big smile that was clearly just for me.

Determined and charming are two words that easily describe you.  When you are frustrated or want to show your independence you lock your arms, make fists and turn red.  Your intensity in these moments reminds me of the Incredible Hulk during his transformation (minus the green and the muscles).


The flexibility and range of your personality fascinates me.  One moment you will be quietly and very seriously examining something and the next you are flashing that heart melting smile and sprinkling a few giggles in for good measure.  I love how you turn all your noises into a sweet little melody and literally sing when you are at your happiest.

Alexander...

The warmth and vibrations of all our major appliances beckon to you like a porch light calls to a moth.  Every time I turn around you are standing with your palms against the washing machine, dishwasher or dryer.  This morning you stood by yourself for a few seconds without holding on to anything.  We were both surprised and delighted.  I have to watch you carefully because you try and squeeze that wonderfully large head of yours into spots that are a bit too small.


You love to make BIG noises and bang whatever is in your hands on any available surface.  Cheerios dance off your highchair after high impact slapping.  You love to drum on the side of the tub with me while we fill it up with water.  Splashing during your tubby makes you squeal in super sonic, barely audible notes. I abosolutely love that sound and want to remember it forever.


Two words that easily describe you are animated and amiable.  You are always in motion, even when you are sitting.  Those legs and arms of yours like to move together which really gives you an advantage when splashing or pounding.  That smile of yours will earn you a million friendships and (I hate to say it) get you out of heaps of trouble.  A little food or snuggle is all you need to reverse your gears from sad to happy.  Even at 3:30 a.m., by the light of a nightlight, you have my heart in an instant with your sleepy grin.


We love you both to the moon and back...
                     xoxo,
                                               Mommy & Daddy



3 comments:

  1. You are amazing first time parents, and for twins no less. Your photography is wonderful. I'm thrilled every time I see a new post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your two beautiful boys. Mom and Dad are pretty special too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, I showed a friend pictures of the boys that I always carry around with me. She said that they look like the Gerber baby food baby.
    I thought that was cute and wanted to share it with you.




    .

    ReplyDelete